A popular surfing beach has been closed for the third time in as many weeks after a sewage spill left bathers unable to enjoy the water.
Godrevy Beach in Cornwall was shut down after heavy rainfall led to overflows spewing raw sewage into the Red River close to the beach.
Surfers and bathers were left disappointed with the news, as the environmental charity Surfers Against Sewage (SAS) issued a text alert to warn beach users of the contamination.
However, Phil Drew, RNLI lifeguard manager in Penwith, said the red flag was simply “a precautionary measure”.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for South West Water said: “Unfortunately, during periods of intense rainfall, the combined sewer system, which also takes surface water from roads, can sometimes become overloaded. We continue to work with our partners and regulators to ensure that public health is protected.”
While a sewage spill at a beach is evidently unpleasant for surfers and bathers alike, a spillage can actually cause further unpleasantness, with bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites carrying the threat of serious illness and even death.
Additionally, spills from sewage pipes have the potential to spread quickly, which means they must be dealt with rapidly and effectively to minimise exposure.
Here at Rentokil Specialist Hygiene, we understand the risks and dangers associated with sewage spills, which is why we offer a comprehensive sewage cleanup service – including disinfection of the affected area – to reduce the risks to the public.
This service is used by a variety of businesses and authorities up and down the UK, so if your organisation requires a helping hand when it comes to sewage spills, pick up the phone and contact the experts for further information – we’d be happy to help.